Android Studio is the official IDE for Android application development, based on IntelliJ IDEA. On top of the capabilities you expect from IntelliJ, Android Studio offers:
- Flexible Gradle-based build system
- Build variants and multiple
- Code templates to help you build common app features
- Rich layout editor with support for drag and drop theme editing
- Lint tools to catch performance, usability, version compatibility, and other problems
- ProGuard and app-signing capabilities
- Built-in support for Google Cloud Platform, making it easy to integrate Google Cloud Messaging and App Engine
- And much more
At the core of Android Studio is an intelligent code editor capable of advanced code completion, refactoring, and code analysis.
The powerful code editor helps you be a more productive Android app developer.
Code templates and GitHub integration
New project wizards make it easier than ever to start a new project.
Start projects using template code for patterns such as navigation drawer and view pagers, and even import Google code samples from GitHub.
Multi-screen app development
Build apps for Android phones, tablets, Android Wear, Android TV, Android Auto and Google Glass.
With the new Android Project View and module support in Android Studio, it’s easier to manage app projects and resources.
Virtual devices for all shapes and sizes
Android Studio comes pre-configured with an optimized emulator image.
The updated and streamlined Virtual Device Manager provides pre-defined device profiles for common Android devices.
Android builds evolved, with Gradle
Create multiple APKs for your Android app with different features using the same project.
Manage app dependencies with Maven.
Build APKs from Android Studio or the command line.